DEL MONTE Maurizio
Head of Department
Qualifications and endorsements:
- Professore ordinario of Geomorphology at Earth Science Department of Sapienza University of Rome (2003-today).
- In 2012 he was deemed qualified as Full Professor by the Ministry of University and Scientific Research.
- Degree in Geological Sciences (1987), PhD in Earth Sciences (1991), University Researcher (1996-2003).
- Training Officer and Teacher of Topography 1982-1984 (School of Anti-aircraft Artillery, Sabaudia).
- Programmer graduated (Italsiel - SOGEI SpA) in 1988.
- 2015: award for excellent teaching at Sapienza University, after a selection process supported by the assessments of the students of the Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences.
- 2014: award for a PhD thesis for which he was tutor. The Sapienza University of Rome reserved the award to the five best PhD thesis after a selection made by international evaluators, with a double-blind peer-review process. This is the first and the only PhD thesis in Earth Sciences that ever won the prize.
- 2011: as eminent expert in the field of geomorphological research, the Italian Railway Company (R.F.I. SpA) assigned him the task of defining the geomorphological evolution and the landslide susceptibility in the Monte Mario area (Rome).
- Since 1982: at Military Schools, High Schools, Technical Institutes, Civil Protection, Board of Geologists, WWF, Latium Region.
- Since 1991: at several Universities (Bachelor degree, Master and PhD levels: courses of architecture, chemistry, environmental sciences, geology, natural sciences, science applied to cultural heritage).
- Since 1996: tutor of more than two hundred undergraduate students and tutor of a number of PhD students.
Research and Lab activity:
- 1987-today: more than 100 publications (on: international scientific journals with peer-review, monographs, volumes, proceedings of international conferences, geomorphological maps). Moreover, he is author of chapters on Natural Environment of the Great Geographical Encyclopedia De Agostini. His scientific activity covers different fields of Physical Geography, Geomorphology and Environmental Geology.
- Since 1987, he has continuously participated in research projects of national and international importance, presenting the results in a number of Congresses and at various universities all over the world.
- 1996: he set up the Laboratory of Physical Geography and Geomorphology of Earth Sciences Department of Sapienza University, then he led the research and education activities for many years.
- 1997, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010-2011: PRIN ( Projects of national interest). For some of them, he organized and coordinated the survey activities of the entire research group.
- 2012- 2016: Coordinator of the AIGeo Working Group 'Quantitative and theoretical Geomorphology'.
- 2016 - today: Coordinator of the AIGeo Working Group ‘Urban Geomorphology'.
- Main research topics: Quantitative Geomorphology of drainage basins, Geomorphological Hazards, Volcanic Geomorphology, Erosion evaluation methods, Urban Geomorphology.
Scientific and Editorial Boards:
- 2003-2016: Member of the Scientific Board of the PhD School "Vito Volterra" (Sapienza University).
- 2005-2006: Member of the Advisory Board of the Italian Journal of Geosciences.
- 2005-2008: Member of the Editorial Board of Geologica Romana.
- 2008-2011: Associate Editor of the Journal of Mediterranean Earth Sciences.
- 2011-today: Member of the Editorial Board of the Sapienza University Press.
- 2011-today: Coordinator of the Panel of Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Earth Sciences, Applied Sciences to Engineering and Pharmacy for Sapienza University Press.
- 2012-2015: Member of the Board of Directors of AIGEO (Italian Association of Physical Geography and Geomorphology).
- 2002-today: reviewer of more than 40 papers for a number of Scientific Journals (i.e.: Catena, Journal of Environmental Management, Natural Hazards, Pure and Applied Geophysics, GeoJournal of Tourism and Geosites, Rendiconti Lincei, Geografia Fisica e Dinamica Quaternaria, Proceedings of the Italian Geological Society, Bollettino della Società Geologica Italiana, and many others) and several PhD thesis.
- 2015: selected by the Italian Ministry of University and Scientific Research as a reviewer of research projects.
- 2016: selected, as eminent expert, by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO; Earth and Life sciences division) as a reviewer of international research projects.
Research responsibilities and coordination
- 2009-today: Responsible of several research projects at Sapienza University.
- 2012- today: PRIN 2010-11 - Responsible of Research Unit “UNIROMA1 - CNR-IRPI (Perugia)”.
- 2012-2014: Coordinator of the Italian Research Group in Project “ENVI-MED: RESOBAM network” (Reseau des Observations of Badlands en zone Méditerranéenne).
- 2010-today: Scientific responsible of a number of research grants, funded by public and private companies.
- 2011-today: Scientific responsible of research scholarships and contracts for research activities, supported by private funding (Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (Italian Railway Company) – R.F.I. SpA; Rocksoil SpA).
- 1987-today: member of the National Group C.N.R. "Physical Geography and Geomorphology", then merged in AIGeo (Italian Association of Physical Geography and Geomorphology).
- 1999-2006: Institute of Environmental Geology and Geoengineering (C.N.R.).
- 2004-today: Research Center CE.RI. "Prediction, prevention and control of geological hazards".
- Current national partnerships: Modena University (Prof. M. Soldati); Milan University (Prof. M. Pelfini, Dott. I. Bollati); Palermo University (Prof. V. Agnesi, C. Conoscenti); Siena University (Dott. S. Maccherini); Genoa University (Prof. P. Brandolini); Bari University (Prof. D. Capolongo); Perugia University (Dott. L. Melelli); CNR-IRPI (Dott. D. Torri, M. Rossi); ENEA (Dott. S. Cappucci); ISPRA (Dott. C. Campobasso, M. D’Orefice, G. Luberti).
- Current international partnerships: Middlesex University, London, UK (Prof. H. Faulkner); Losanna University, Switzerland (Prof. E. Reynard); Rouen University, France (Prof. Y. Copard); Maria Curie-Sklodowska University, Lublin, Poland (Prof. W. Zgłobicki); Leuven University, Belgium (Prof. J. Poesen); Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Almería, Spain (Prof. Albert Solé-Benet); Zaragoza University, Spain (Dott. Estela Nadal-Romero); IRSTEA, France (Dott. F. Rey); Glasgow University, UK (Prof. P. Bishop).